Monday, December 07, 2009

My Social Media & Relationships


Recently I flew to the east coast to attend a close friend's wedding. It was small, beautiful and very intimate. I realized that my college friends and I spent no time 'catching up'. I've been told numerous times that when you are back with people you haven't seen in a while, it can be hard. However, we were never really apart.

For my various circles, it's become acceptable to touch base through social media.

Social Relationships
Between Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Google Features, email and more, it's nearly impossible not to stay in contact with friends and family from a distance. During the brief weekend on the east coast we already knew who was working where, how the projects were going, how my friend was now dating a new woman. Where did we get all this information? Facebook statuses, email, texts and- once every blue moon- a new YouTube video.

Professional
I've noticed that some of my past teachers, mentors and professors keep track of my professional edeavors through my Linkedin page. This has actually expanded my relationships with these people beyond former supervisors, club advisors and classroom walls. This has been a great way to rekindle and enhance relationships by opening professional doors.

Family 
While my parents aren't very active online, at least not on my networks, I am able to touch base with cousins, aunts, uncles and brothers. All of the cousins went to school all over the U.S. and I have a married brother in Asia, so this makes social media, specifically social networks, a great way to keep track of my family. Sometimes my parents and relatives are shocked when I know about an engagement. However, my mom now just says 'I know, it's on facebook isn't it?'

Conclusion
I know that people criticize social media for it not being a real relationship tools, but they are wonderful for maintaining and enhancing already established relationships and building community.

My relationships on social media are personal, professional and family oriented. What are your relationships online?

2 comments:

by the way said...

Thanks for this as I work on a virtual ministry using these tools I agree this is a new way of communicating and the opportunities for ministry are endless.

Kristina's Tech and Culture said...

Thanks for the comment! I agree that ministry opportunities are endless when used correctly. I stand by the quote: 'In addition to, not in place of'regarding social media of course. Do you follow any particular ministry groups, blogs, twitter-ers that hit the nail well when it comes to social media?